Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"To reach a port, we must sail - sail, not tie at anchor - sail, not drift." -- FRANKLIN DELANO ROOSEVELT

So many times, we set our sights on a destination and then sit ourselves down with the expectation that we will somehow reach it without even setting the sails for that direction. We cast our hopes and dreams to the wind, thinking that the wind itself will power our path--never entertaining the thought that in order to sail we must harness its power.

Cultivate the habit of setting your sails. You may not always be able to determine the direction of the wind, but a skilled sailor knows how to use it to his advantage. Be a sailor today, as you determine the direction you shall go.

Today, I am grateful for the approach of fall, the smell of leaves and the cooling of air. I am grateful for fall winds, sunflowers and the tiny hummingbird that gathers energy for its long flight. I am grateful for fresh, clean rain; for white, puffy clouds and for the energy that only fall brings.


I am grateful for children as they head off to school, for teachers who provide their care and parents who adapt to the seasonal changes in their lifestyle. I am grateful for the renewed expectations of another school year, for eager learners and for knowledge available to our children.


I am grateful for family and friends who bring me joy, for strangers who challenge my thinking and for  writers who share their knowledge via the written word.


And, I am grateful for you, dear reader, as you stop to share my day. May you cultivate the habit of setting your sails to harvest the power of the winds to lead you in the direction of your dreams.

No comments:

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...