Monday, April 13, 2015

No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn. Hal Borland


Hal Borland may not have been speaking literally when he said no winter lasts forever, but for those of us in Maine it has seemed like winter would last forever. It's nearly the middle of April and there are still piles of snow covering my garden and raised beds.

The good news is: the snow is melting, the robins are singing and the sun has returned. Our world will likely transform from a snow-covered landscape to green grass within a few short weeks. With spring comes a renewal of the soul.

If you, like me, have found yourself struggling as you work your way to the light, it's time to celebrate the coming of spring. The shedding of winter clothes and throwing open the windows to air out the home always fills me with hope.

Today, I am grateful for the robin's song that has been gone from my life for way too long, for sunshine that melts the remaining snow and for the woodpecker who hammers away at still frozen trees. I am grateful for skies of blue, white puffy clouds and water that trickles down the road.
I am grateful for tiny blades of grass that somehow find their way through the snow and ice and stand proud and tall around foundations. I am grateful for fresh air to breathe, for windchimes that sing into the night, and for stars that adorn the sky.
I am grateful for the promise of another year to grow flowers and veggies in my backyard, for the vision of colors that will soon burst forth and for my garden chair that has silently awaited my return. I am grateful for the sounds of spring that have nothing to do with emerging birds a wildlife - for the far-away sounds that tell me the snow is gone and the muffle of winter air is gone.
I am grateful for my family who is always there, for my friends who offer me support and for strangers who are not yet friends, but who will cross my path today. 
And I am grateful for you, dear reader, as you stop to share my day. May you celebrate the coming of spring with great joy and happiness today. 






No comments:

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...