Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The person we believe ourselves to be will always act in a manner consistent with our self-image.

 Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Self-image is a funny thing. It hides beneath the surface and colors everything we do, yet few of us take the time to consider how we see ourselves and what we need to do to change that faulty image. I know I'm guilty of seeing myself as less able and less capable than I really am and I'm betting you are too. The problem, it seems, lies partly in the little voice that plays inside our heads - but I am convinced it has more to do with our unrealistic estimation of others.

It's not that I don't think others are capable. They are. It's just that most of us look outside ourselves at the world and see successful people who are free from the demons that plague our lives. We somehow think that others are confident and carefree and that they are finding great success in life.

Take a look at social media. Everyone is busy tweeting and posting about their great success. With a quick browse through your Tweet Feed, you will find everything from how to be slim and sexy to how to strike it rich with Internet marketing. Most of us assume those people really are successful with these pursuits. And that's where the problem lies. We assume others are more successful than us because they say they are.

Inspirational writer and speaker Zig Ziglar points out that part of our problem with our self-image lies in comparing our worst to the best in others. We look at their successes and compare them to our failures and assume we are much less successful than we are. We view their shining moments and somehow convince ourselves that those moments represent their entire lives. We forget that they too struggle with the everyday obstacles we all face.

For today, forget about the ultra-successful and focus on you. Consider who you are and what you have to offer the world. If that seems overwhelming, focus on one thing you can do today to make your life better. Clean a closet, write a blog post or do something good for someone else today. Do whatever it takes today to begin to rebuild your self-image one step at a time.

And don't forget to express your gratitude for all that you have, however meager that may seem.

Today, I am grateful for tiny blades of grass that I know are growing beneath the snow. I cannot see them yet, but I know the roots are growing and they are gathering strength to emerge when the snow melts. 

I am grateful for friends who see me through when times are tough, and who celebrate with me when times are good. I am grateful for my children who always support and love me even when I'm old and grumpy and struggling to find my way. Their belief in me is a great source of strength. 

I am grateful for the rising sun, even when it hides behind the clouds, because I know that it is there ready to bring its warmth. I am grateful for spring birds who sing outside my window, for the gentle wind as it whistles through the trees and night skies filled with stars. 

I am grateful for the opportunity to share my thoughts and touch the lives of others via the written word.
And, I am grateful for you, dear reader, as you stop and share my day. May you find joy and great success today as you work adjust your self-image to reflect the amazing person you really are. 






No comments:

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...