Wednesday, May 13, 2015

“If you’re thinking of debt, that’s what you’re going to attract.” – Bob Proctor


Most of us spend our lives worrying about making that looming mortgage or car payment and stretching the current paycheck until the next. We have been conditioned to believe that is how life is supposed to work and even rejoice when we squeak by another week or another month. While keeping up with our obligations may be admirable, when those debts become our primary focus, we begin to limit ourselves and reinforce the conditions we are trying to avoid in our lives. 

I'll be honest with you. I am guilty, too. It's not easy to look past pressing financial obligations and envision a life free of those worries. It's not like I haven't been working on it. I have. I've read all the books. I've listened to all the motivational speakers. I am fully convinced that our belief is the key to getting the things we want in life. I have no doubt. Why then, do my intentions fall short and my goals loom just out of sight?

I recently read something - and I must admit the source eludes me - that stopped me in my tracks because it answered my question. It is not my belief that our thinking creates our reality that is at fault. Oh no. My belief is intact. My belief gives me a solid foundation for creating the life I want for myself and my family. 

What then, can account for my struggle? EXPECTATION. I know it sounds strange, but it isn't my belief it, is my expectation that is a faltering. Intellectually, I know that focusing on what I want and need in life will bring it to pass, but I have a problem with actually expecting it to happen.

For me, it goes a little like this: I decide I need and want financial abundance. I set my intentions and release it to the Universe (or God, if you prefer) and then I immediately take it back and try to make it happen on my own. Instead of letting go and letting the Universe (or God) bring abundance into my life, I begin to frantically double-check any source I can think of, as I attempt to do it myself.

That's why I have used a picture of a money tree for this post. I have decided to set my intention and give it time to grow without snatching it back and trying to do it on my own.  As a gardener, I can relate to the concept of reaping what you sow and already know that all trees produce fruit when it is time. So shall my tree of abundance.

Today I am grateful for fiddleheads, dandelions (although I don't eat them) and the fruit of the land. I am grateful for bats that sweep through the night air, for I know it means summer is close at hand. I am grateful for butterflies that soon will flitter through my garden beds, for lupines that stand so tall and proud, and for moss that envelopes the rocks. 
I am grateful for toast from homemade bread, for woodbine that creeps above my window and for the hummingbird who has once again returned. I am grateful for the scent of spring, for cozy blankets that take away the chill of evening air, and for the sound of the wind as it whispers through the trees. 
I am grateful for my family, for friends and for pets that make my life full. 
And, I am grateful for you, dear reader, as you stop and share my day. May you focus on abundance today as you go forward toward your dreams.



No comments:

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...