Friday, December 16, 2016

It's not what your look at that matters, it's what you see. -Thoreau

www.nannetterichford.com
A few weeks go I watched the movie The Abundance Factor. I had been putting off watching it because I thought it would be all about MONEY and I really wasn't ready to focus my attention on money at the exclusion of other important aspects of life. I was wrong. This movie is about Abundance in all areas of your life. Like many of the movies and books that focus on how our perspective and attitude affects our reality, it reminded me of how important it is too look at life through fresh eyes and with an open heart. If you haven't watched it yet, I strongly recommend it. It made a big impact on me.

I have recently taken up nature photography and have been immersed in finding the unique perspective that brings a photo to life. Learning to see through new eyes and to focus on the details has taught me much about life in the past year. Photography serves as a metaphor of life for me and helps me work through its complicated (or do we just make it so) nuances.

It has taught me how important it is to see beyond the ordinary and seek the extraordinary in both my work and my life. As Thoreau so aptly puts it: "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."

For today, try to see life and people through a different lens and practice seeking the extraordinary in the ordinary or mundane. Look for the little things that make your life unique and special and take the time to appreciate them.


Today, I am grateful for my furnace to keep me warm in sub-zero weather, for the sun that creates sparkles in the snow, and for the white carpet that blankets the world.
I am grateful for evergreens that brighten the holiday decor, for candles that flicker in the night, and for fluffy socks that warm my toes. 
I am grateful for books to read that challenge my mind, for talented photographers who are willing to share their knowledge so I may learn, and for children who brave the cold to play in the snow. 
I am grateful for my family who gave me the gift of photography, for the wondrous world of nature that serves as my subject, and for discerning eyes that can see beyond the ordinary. 
And, I am grateful for you, dear reader, as you stop to share my day, May you find the extraordinary in the ordinary today as you learn that its not what you look at that matters, it is what you see.

No comments:

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...