Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Focus

Our thoughts create our reality -- where we put our focus is the direction we tend to go.~ Peter McWilliams I've been thinking a lot about focus, lately. I mean, I've always known it was important and try to live my life focusing on the positive, but as life often does, I got a first-hand lesson in focus lately. Oh, its not what you think. I didn't bring some horrible reality upon myself. I didn't miss an opportunity because my focus was elsewhere. I picked up the camera. Now, I've taken pictures before and I never really thought a lot about it. Point. Shoot. Sometimes I'd get good shots, but most of the time I didn't. Until I learned about focus. I simply wanted a few shots of flowers and herbs to accompany my writing. I wasn't looking for anything spectacular, just a clear image suitable for a gardening article. I tried a few closeup images and got a couple of fantastic shots. I was amazed. Was it an accident? Could I do it again? The next morning, I tried again and got one or two that I could be proud of. I realized the camera captures what the eye cannot see. It is able to focus on minute details while everything outside of its view remains unfocused. It chooses the object of its desire and brings it to a sharp focus. A beautiful image manifests with clarity and detail. My God and creator (whoever you conceive him to be) blessed us with a "clear sound mind" capable of focusing on whatever is in our heart. Like the camera we should strive to focus on the important and positive details of our lives and watch for the beautiful image that it manifests. I wish for you clear focus that you may bring your dreams to life. Today, I am grateful for the sound of laughter. I am grateful for the caw of the crow that roused me from sleep to see the sunrise. I am grateful for hummingbirds that glitter in the sun and for dew drops on the grass. I am grateful for the cool breeze of evening and for stars in all their glory that adorn the sky. I am grateful for family and friends who share my life and bring me love and warmth and joy. And, I am grateful for you, dear reader. May your day be filled with joy as you greet the world with gratitude and learn to sharpen your focus on all that is good in this world.

No comments:

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...