Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Measure of Success

The temptation to measure our lives by the number of things we have is great. The biggest house, the best car, the most money and the most possessions have become synonymous with success. It can easily lead us to think that getting more things will make us happy and bring joy to our lives. It won't. If you are trying to develop an attitude of gratitude with the hopes of getting more things and finding that elusive measure of success that will say to the world that you have succeeded, you will probably be disappointed. If you want to cultivate joy and peace, then you are on the right track. Consider the words of Oscar Wilde today: If you don't get everything you want, think of the things you don't get that you don't want. ~Oscar Wilde When you express your gratitude today, it is important to focus on the things you do have in your life; but, sometimes what we do have can be defined by what we don't have. I may not have perfect peace in my life, but I don't have turmoil. I may not be able to run a marathon, but I can walk. I may not have a big beautiful house, but I have a comfortable home that brings me great pleasure. Make a conscious effort today to redirect your thoughts from the awareness of what you do not have to gratitude for what you do. I am grateful for the cool summer breeze that wafted in my window and brought me peaceful sleep. I am grateful for the first 8 hours of sleep I have had in many months. I am grateful for the starry sky in all its exquisite beauty and the perfect view from my backyard. I am grateful for a clear sound mind and for another day to enjoy the beauty of nature, the love of friends and family. And, I am grateful for You, dear reader. May you find great joy and peace in your life today.

No comments:

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...