Friday, August 14, 2009

On Gratitude

Developing an attitude of gratitude may seem like a futile attempt in these uncertain times; but, it may be the very thing that lifts you above the doom and gloom the world wants you to believe. It's important to remember that the world is not always as it seems and what we see, and what we read, isn't always an accurate picture of the world. Turn on the TV and you will be bombarded with every negative reporters can get their hands on. Sure, there are a lot of things wrong with this world, but there is so much more that is right. There are wonderful people out there -- kind, loving, unselfish people who spend their lives helping others. Maybe you haven't met them yet, or maybe you simply didn't recognize them. By developing an attitude of gratitude for the good things in your life, you will begin to see them. You will know them by the quality of their smile, by the kind words they share and by their sincere gratitude for life. Recently, I've met two people so kind and caring that I was taken by surprise. Both were in the service industry -- one a cashier and another a waiter. Here they were working hard to do their job; and yet, they still had the time to make me feel like I was important. They didn't just say "thank-you" they meant it. It bubbled up from the very core of their being. I decided then and there that I wanted to be like them. I wanted to make others feel like they were important. I hope I can live up to their example. Today, I am grateful for the cool morning breeze as it drifts in the window and the bright sun that brings life to my flowers and garden. I am grateful for my family who brings me great joy. I am grateful for a higher power I call my God, for the beauty of nature and the joy of being alive. I am grateful for you, whoever you are, for stopping to share my journey into the world of an attitude of gratitude. Today, we will change our worlds.

No comments:

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...