Monday, August 16, 2010



Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson






photo by nrichford

So often in life, we become so focused on the thistles that we forget to see their beauty. Consider the lowly thistle today. It's prickers are sharp and it can be an annoyance, but with its bloom it brings us the soft down that serves to line the nests of the striking Goldfinch and inspired Clement Clark Moore when writing "Twas the Night Before Christmas."


If you have ever seen the down of a thistle as it floats through the air then "Away they all flew like the down of a thistle" takes on new meaning.


Examine the thistles in your life, today and consider what hidden beauty they may hold.
Sometimes, we become so focused on the things we do not want in our lives that we forget they may have gifts to bear. That momentary set back may well be a sign to take stock of your life, change your focus and look for undiscovered treasures. Take a moment today and seek out the beauty around you and appreciate all that you have. Only by deep appreciation and gratitude for what life has given us can we go forward to attain seemingly unreachable goals. 

Today, I am grateful for misty air that once again promises rain, for the squirrel that stamps his angry feet to scare me from his path and for soft gray clouds that envelop my world. I am grateful for dancing leaves, thistle blossoms and bold wild flowers. I am grateful for another day to share my thoughts, to laugh and to enjoy the wonders of the world around me.



I am grateful for new babies and I am grateful for those yet to be born as they have much to give to this world. I am grateful that my heart holds compassion for those who struggle, that I have eyes that see beyond the surface and the drive to make a difference. I am grateful for family and friends who help me make sense of the world when it becomes confusing, from guidance from an unseen force that I call God when I lose my way, and for the knowledge that the path is always open if I but open my eyes and see it.


And, I am grateful for you, dear reader as you stop and share my day. May you take the time to see the beauty around you today as you go forth to reach your goals.




No comments:

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...