Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts; therefore guard accordingly. Marcus Aurelius

So many of us get into the habit of greeting the world with a running commentary of the lack in our lives that we forget to take stock of what we have, and get sucked into believing that we are unhappy due to the circumstances in our lives. We are so eager to believe that the world controls our lives that we simply forget to look to our contributions to our own unhappy circumstances.

Strive today to improve the quality of your thoughts that you may learn to experience joy in your life - regardless of the circumstances around you. As you improve your thoughts and begin to focus on the positive in your life, circumstances begin to change.

When difficulties arise - and they sometimes will - lift yourself above them by training your thoughts to focus on the the blessings in your life.

Today, I am grateful for lazy Saturday mornings, for French vanilla creamer in my coffee, and for clean blank pages on which to write. I am thankful for computers that make my life easier, for typewriters who set the stage, and for pen and paper that still tempts writers when inspiration comes.
I am grateful for the morning sun that I know lurks behind the clouds, for clean white snow that lingers on the ground, and for evergreens that transform into wreaths.
I am grateful for time as it stretches before me, for the wisdom to use it well, and for quiet moments that nourish the soul.
I am grateful for winter storms that will envelop my world in a quiet beauty, for rolling hills, and towering trees who withstand the passage of time.
I am grateful for family that I hold dear, for friends who lighten the load, and for strangers who share a willing smile. 
And, I am grateful for you, dear reader, as you stop to share my day. Strive to improve the quality of your thoughts today, that you may experience happiness and joy as you go forward in the direction of your dreams. 
 
 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!!

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...