Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Do not wait for your ship to come in - swim out to it." Author Unknown

Many of us live our lives with the underlying belief that "someday my ship will come in", mistakenly believing that something from the outside world must happen before we find success and happiness in life. We wait and watch for that perfect opportunity to land in our lap, never realizing that we allow opportunities to sail past because we are unwilling or unmotivated to swim out to meet the ship.

Cultivate the desire and motivation to strive to reach those opportunities that may seem a bit out of reach. Resolve to take action to make your dreams and goals come true and let go of your old beliefs that keep you stationary, waiting for your fictional ship to come in.

Today, I am grateful for the bright spring sun that promises to melt the snow, for soft-blue skies and the gently wavering pine. I am grateful for spring birds that flit and dart oblivious to the snow-covered world below, responding only to the knowledge that spring will return. I am grateful for squirrels that chatter and scurry singing the praise of the coming of spring.


I am grateful for gardeners who hold a vision of green and growing things in their hearts, for the tiny hummingbird as he wings his way north and for houseplants that begin their burst of new growth. 


I am grateful for words to express the desires of my heart, for dreams that lead me where I need to go and for the vision of bright tomorrows. I am grateful for health and happiness and the comforts of a secure home, for homemade bread and steaming coffee.


I am grateful for family that molds my world, for memories that will last a lifetime and for dreams that lead into the future. I am grateful for friends who share their thoughts, for acquaintances that inspire me and for neighbors who are always near.


And, I am grateful for you, dear reader, as you stop to share my day. May you cast aside thoughts that opportunities must come to you and cultivate the courage to swim out to meet them as you go forward in the direction of your dreams.

No comments:

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...