Sunday, July 17, 2011

Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons" -- RUTH ANN SCHABACKER


Day Four: Seven Day Mental Challenge Diet


Sometimes, that which is right before us is the most difficult to see. What may seem dull and ordinary may contain the key to your success, if you but take the time to look. Strive to see life's gifts today. Go ahead, untie some bows -- you may be surprised at what you may find right before your eyes.

I've been reading The Secret of Mental Magic by Vernon Howard. In his book, Howard carefully explains that our thoughts are often clouded by our "illusions" of the way life is or the way we are. These images have been created by our interactions with the world, but they are not all accurate. That little voice that whispers, "I'm not good enough." or "I'm not smart enough." is simply the result of our faulty beliefs about ourselves and our world. 

In this book, Howard explains that we have the power to overcome those self-defeating thoughts with four simple words. "I need not obey." We all have within ourselves the power to simply refuse to react to self-defeating talk. We do not need to listen to that little voice that tells us what we can and cannot do. 

For today, practice being a rebel and stopping those thoughts cold with a bold, "I need not obey." Astonishing results are sure to follow.

Today, I am grateful for summer sun, white puffy clouds and butterflies. I am grateful for the vast ocean that teems with life, for the rainforest with its lush green growth and for far-away places I may only visit in my minds eye. 
I am grateful for the vastness of the Universe, for clear skies sparkling with stars, for the golden orb of the moon and for rainbows.
I am grateful for family and friends who enrich my life, for neighbors who are always there and for soldiers who keep my world safe.
And, I am grateful for you, dear reader, as you stop to share my day. May you untie the bows to find life's gifts today, as you go forward in the direction of your dreams.

No comments:

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...