Thursday, July 14, 2011

Seven Day Mental Diet Challenge Day One Revisited




"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently." ~Henry Ford~





Well, folks, I'm afraid I need to start back at Day One. Not because I went on a rampage spouting negative thoughts, and not because I've been beating myself up with negative self-talk. No, it's not that simple.

You see, I visited the dentist yesterday to have a tooth removed. I entered with a positive attitude, but somewhere along the way I let it slip away. Once I sat in that dentist chair, memories of several bad experiences (all involving pain) overwhelmed me. I tried watching the ducks in the little pond outside. I tried watching the clouds in the sky. I even tried deep breathing -- but despite my efforts, I found myself envisioning impending doom. Something bad was going to happen to me and I knew it.

Even as I ruminated over the situation, I knew that I was being irrational. I thought of you all and knew I'd have to make this post and admit that I let negative thoughts overcome me. I imagined your reactions to my weakness and that started me down another path I didn't want to take.


I'll be honest, I thought about lying. I thought about ignoring the whole episode and posting a uplifting message of how wonderful life is. But, I couldn't do it. It wouldn't be right. I owe you more than that.

So, here I am Day One Mental Diet Challenge Revisited, and I'm ready to start from the beginning again. It's not so bad, really. I have few days of practice to rely on and I've identified some of my pitfalls. As Henry Ford said, "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.


Today, I am grateful for cool, dry air that refreshes the soul, for leaves that rustle in the wind and for flowers that brighten the Earth. I am grateful for rich, dark soil that teems with life, for moss-covered glades and trees. 
I am grateful for an honest day's work, for a clear, sound mind and the promise of a bright new day. I am grateful for starting anew in my quest to nurture the positive and banish the negative. 
I am grateful for family and friends who I hold dear, for children who play in the summer sun and for the elderly who still have much to share.
And, I am grateful for you, dear reader, as you stop to share my day. May your journey is light as you go forward in the direction of your dreams.



No comments:

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...