Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's eve is like every other night; there is no pause in the march of the universe, no breathless moment of silence among created things that the passage of another twelve months may be noted; and yet no man has quite the same thoughts this evening that come with the coming of darkness on other nights. ~Hamilton Wright Mabie

 Photo by grafixar

I've always liked New Year's Eve, not for going out or entertaining guests, but because it holds that magical moment when our symbolic past and our hopes for the future lie in balance, waiting for the scales to tip. 


It's not that I don't value the past or that I have anything negative in my life that I wish to put behind me. I don't. It's the anticipation of new adventures, the hope of reaching new goals and the light of a brand new year approaching that I love the most.


In it lies the promise of reaching new heights, accomplishing new things and going new places.


Consider where you've been this year and take pride in all you have accomplished. Express your gratitude for all you have, but aim for more. 


Today, I am grateful for the hundreds of people who have voted for my daughter's entry in a photo contest so she may win a college scholarship. Your votes bring her closer to realizing her hopes and dreams for the future. (You can vote here, if you are so inclined.)


I am grateful for the opportunity to share my holidays with my son, even though he is miles away, for my brother who cared for my animals while I was away and for family to spend the holidays with.


I am grateful for another year to work towards my goals, for the opportunity to spend my days doing what I love best--writing.


And, I am grateful for you, dear reader, as you stop to share my day. May you view your past with pride and view the future with hope and never lose sight of your goals.
 

No comments:

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...