Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Playing the Hand You are Dealt

Photo by Chelle
Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. Robert Louis Stevenson

So often people fall prey to thinking that they can't accomplish their heart's desires, can't be prosperous or can't be successful because they simply were not born into the right family or haven't been handed the family money. For others it takes the form of believing they are not attractive enough, not smart enough or simply not worthy of success and happiness. They believe the hand they have been dealt is flawed.


This self-defeating trap holds hundreds of thousands--perhaps millions--of people in its grip rendering them powerless to change their lives and find joy and happiness. 


But life isn't about the hand you have been dealt by the world. Its about learning to play your hand well and succeed despite the circumstances. The Bible tells us in Romans 12:2  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

The key, it seems is the renewing of your mind, not only towards God, but towards life itself. When we accept the warped view the outside world paints for us, we fall victim to comparing ourselves to some fictional image of success. When we are unable to attain it, we then internalize our failure believing that we are flawed.

Let go of the image of your flawed self and the notion that you must live the faulty hand you were dealt, today. Renew your mind by focusing on all that is good and just in your life, give gratitude for what you have and get on with the business of playing your hand well.

Today, I am grateful to live in America where my choices are many and my opportunities are great. I am grateful for the ability to look beyond what others believe and the world expects and see where I must go.


I am grateful for crystal clear skies and brilliant night stars that bid me good morning, for puffs of smoke that streams from chimneys and the occasional bark of a far-away dog.


I am grateful for the flow of ideas, the courage to listen to them and the desire to make a difference in my world.


I am grateful for family and friends who fill my life with laughter and good times, for strangers who carry on with their lives with courage and strength and those who spend their lives uplifting others. 

And, I am grateful for you, dear reader, as you stop to share my day. May you rise above the hand you were dealt, renew your mind to all that is good and just in the world and play your hand well.







1 comment:

Emma Riley Sutton said...

Playing the hand I was dealt is a daily goal for me. It isn't always easy, but I know that every hand can win - I just need to do the best I can.

Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things . . .

It is easy to express gratitude when things in your life are running smoothly, but a little more difficult when things get rough. We ha...